30 ounces Fried Tofu Cubes (see Fried Tofu Cubes)
4 lbs of a combination of white potatoes (Yukon gold), sweet potatoes (Boniato or similar type), and taro root (cut into 1 ½ -inch cubes)
1.5 lbs carrots (cut into 1-inch segments)
10 cups water
10 cups Vegetarian Soup Base (see Vegetarian Soup Base)
8 ounces dried Shiitake Black Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 4 hours, then rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 4-ounce can of Thai yellow curry paste (try Maesri’s Karee Curry Paste – Yellow)
2 cans (400ml) coconut milk
2 cups milk
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium leek (use the white part and some green part, sliced into ½ inch slices)
2 stems of fresh lemongrass cut into 3-4 inch long
1 tablespoon minced and crushed fresh or frozen lemongrass
10 whole fresh red hot peppers
½ tablespoon turmeric
¾ tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon sugar, plus more to taste
½ tablespoon dry mushroom seasoning, plus more to taste
4 ounces roasted unsalted peanuts
- Peel potatoes and remove any blemishes or eyes. Immediately place each peeled potato in cold water to prevent the outer surface of the potato from discoloring.
- After potatoes are peeled, cut large potatoes in half or into quarters. If the potato pieces are still fairly large, cut in half again, until the pieces are about 1 ½ inches. Try to cut the pieces so they are consistent in size so that they will cook evenly. Set aside to dry
- Prepare the sweet potatoes and taro roots the same way.
- Steam potatoes, sweet potatoes and taro for 20 minutes. Set aside. If a steamer is not available, skip this step and just add potatoes, sweet potatoes and taro directly to the soup in step 8.
- In a large pot, add 1 tablespoon of oil, fry the leek for about 1 minute, then add the Shiitake black chinese mushrooms, curry powder, turmeric, and crushed lemongrass, and continue to fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add water and Vegetarian Soup Base and bring to boil.
- Add fried tofu in step 5 above, 2 stems of lemongrass already cut into 3-4 inch long, and coconut milk; bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, taro roots, carrots, red peppers, and continue to simmer for another 2 hours.
- Add salt, sugar, and dried mushroom seasoning to taste.
Serve topped with roasted peanuts over rice, rice noodles, or with a French baguette and salad. Note that this curry freezes well and can be kept in the freezer for future use.